Elm Communications is a strategic communications consultancy based in Canberra. Effective at delivering everything from big projects and high-level planning to detailed execution and content.
Elm Communications is owned and managed by me, Melanie Gibbons. I am a passionate communications professional who believes quality communications can provide immeasurable value to your organisation. I have worked in in-house communications teams for most of my career, so I understand where you are coming from and what you need to succeed.
I have had over fifteen years’ experience in communications across government, not-for-profit and the private sector in Australia and the United Kingdom. Most recently, I have been managing a full-service communications team in the Australian Government working on climate change policy and administration.
I understand the challenges of working in a political environment while trying to create momentum for your program. Managing business as usual delivery while trying to lead and mentor staff. Trying to write that strategy or report when there are meetings and phone calls all day. I have worked in small and large government departments and understand the opportunities and challenges this brings.
I believe that communications provides significant value to any business. Done well communications can tell the world what you are great at and get you out of a sticky situation. I passionately believe that a professional, effective communications team should be at the heart of any business.
My time in London, broadened my government experience both at a national and local level. It also allowed me to work in the not-for-profit sector, bringing about its own communications challenges.
Managing full-service communications teams for the past decade has given me a wide range of experience, including:
- Developing and implementing short-term rapid communications plans, and long-term complex strategies. With both internal and external communications experience, I believe in an integrated approach to communications.
- I have gotten my hand’s dirty drafting more media releases than I can count, creating hashtags and writing hundreds (maybe thousands) of pages of web content.
- I have lead the communications for new government programs like the launch of the carbon pricing mechanism and the Emissions Reduction Fund.
- Experience in issues management having worked on programs like child support compliance, the closure of the Home Insulation Program and Green Loans.
- Successful delivery of internal communication programs including a successful enterprise agreement communications strategy, a complex cultural change program and multiple organisational restructures.
- Undertaken team development and planning, building teams from scratch and coming into well-established groups. I have mentored junior staff and lead teams through difficult periods of change.
My experience is complimented with academic qualifications having recently completed a Master of Strategic Communications with a dissertation on the Australian Governments use of social media. I also have a Graduate Certificate in social media and public engagement, and a Bachelor of Communications specialising in public relations and advertising.
Want to know more about my experience? Feel free to check out my CV.