Elm Communications is a Canberra communications consultancy that provides services, advice and support.
- Service review
- Communications projects
- Support and advice
- Mentoring and coaching
For more information about Elm Communications services download our capability statement.
You can engage Elm Communications through:
- the Digital Transformation Agency’s Digital Marketplace
- the Commonwealth Creative and Digital Communication Panel (listed as Gibbons, Melanie trading as Elm Communications Canberra)
With a wealth of experience in internal and external communications, planning and strategy is a core strength of Elm Communications. I know great communications is planned and fact-based. Formed on a base of research, I believe you can deliver value when you know what you are setting out to achieve, understand your audience, have consistent messaging, and know how to measure your outcomes.
Elm Communications provides the following services:
- Internal and external strategy development and implementation.
- Analysis and research – Environmental scanning, desktop research, interviews, surveys, workshops, content analysis.
- Brand and reputational strategy.
- Corporate communications.
- Internal and cultural communications.
Key to great content is the ability to distil information quickly into a format and style that meets the audience needs. With experience in developing long publications, media materials, digital and social media content and executive reports I can assist with all of your content development needs.
Elm Communications can develop communication materials for a range of audience types and writing styles including:
- Government communications.
- Industry specific messaging.
- Academic and reporting styles.
- Community orientated communications.
- Technical and plain English.
Focused on delivering client-centric communications, materials will be developed to suit the audience and while meeting your objectives. All digital content will be produced to comply with WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines.
Sometimes when you are stuck in day-to-day delivery it is hard to step away and look for new opportunities in how to refine your team, services and channels. I can help you to get a fresh perspective on how you are implementing communications in your organisation.
Elm Communications can help you:
- Review of communications functions, team structure and roles.
- Review existing communications channels including digital and social media.
- Scope new channels to meet audience needs.
- Bring your team together and create a new vision.
- Develop your communications business plan – what is your purpose and what will you achieve this year.
- Run team building sessions.
- Develop communications frameworks, policies and processes.
Elm Communications will support your staff to be exceptional professionals working together to achieve great outcomes.
Let’s be honest, most communications these days have online elements. I want to help you improve your online channels so that you can better engage with your clients or staff. I see digital as where we can make the biggest impact in how we communicate but managed badly these channels can take time and resources. I can help you improve your current digital communications and develop new channels.
Elm Communications can work with you on:
- Website strategies – content and structure review, redevelopment of information architecture and content development.
- Digital channel strategy.
- Social media plans.
- Review of social media channels and content.
If you have a piece of work that needs someone to focus on it, give it the love it needs to get off the ground or a project that has stalled and you need to get it over the finish line, I am able to help. With experience in long-term delivery and short-term, quick turnaround projects I can ensure you get the outcome you are looking for on time and on budget. Consider if you need help with:
- A new program or product.
- Digital project scoping and delivery.
- Delivery of a new tool or communications channel.
- Stakeholder mapping.
- Research and analysis.
Support and advice
We have all seen it before, you are busy managing BAU and then something unexpected pops up. Not everyone has the luxury of having resources just waiting to take on that new, urgent piece of work. If you need help with the unexpected, I can come and help at short notice, providing an extra body on the ground or remote support to get you through those tough times. Give me a call.
Elm Communications can provide a range of services that will help support your team:
- In-house support.
- Issues and crisis communications management.
- Reputation management.
- Strategic direction.
- Stakeholder and client engagement.
Mentoring and coaching
With more than 15 years in communications, and ten in the public service, I have a wealth of experience and I love to share my knowledge with others. If you are new to communications or just need someone to talk to about your career, approach, or current challenges give me a call.
Elm Communications can provide:
- One-on-one mentoring services for emerging communications professionals.
- Coaching for those at a crossroads in their career.
- Support for those dealing with challenging staff or work environments.
As a trained facilitator, I can work with a diverse range of individuals to extract information, generate engagement and build mutual understanding. I have been engaged to lead several internal staff and external stakeholder workshops to gather information and facilitate active conversations about specific challenges. These sessions have ranged from small intimate team-based conversations for eight people to large whole day workshops for 50 people. I am able to facilitate:
- Team building days
- Communication planning workshops
- Planning sessions
- Discovery workshops